Tuesday 5 November 2013

Film #5: CARRIE (1976)

Today's film was the original Carrie from 1976, a film based on a Stephen King classic, staring Sissy Spacek as Carrie and receiving 2 Oscar nominations. The film is based around a girl (Carrie) with strange telekinetic powers, she has an extremely religious mother and is an outsider in school. As the film develops the audiences finds out more of her powers and her desires to fit in at school. When the senior prom arises Carrie is not in hope of being asked to go, until Sue (Amy Irving) makes her boyfriend, Tommy (William Katt) ask Carrie to the prom in order to help her make friends and to be accepted in the school. However suspicious and over protective teacher Miss Collins (Betty Buckley) believes it to be for other motives. Although her attentions are not on the correct peoples as Chris (Nancy Allen) and Billy (John Travolta) are the ones who are plotting to humiliate Carrie in front of everyone. Through her rebellion against her mother's religious views Carrie's power grow stronger, which results in horrifyingly, powerful results when prom night arrives and the scheme against her goes into full swing.
The film was a gripping story that kept me curious for the next step. I felt the film took too long for the audience to understand Carrie's character completely; however during the prom scene I was completely engrossed for the plan to unveil itself, of which I was hooked by the imagination of the plot and story that King wrote. Sissy Spacek was also phenomenal, her eyes were hypnotising and her psychotic stares put the shivers in my spine.
I don't think I want to watch the 2013 remake, I stand by the notion of institutions not ever being able to make successful remakes. The film was mesmerizing and I definitely would watch it again, the end minute made me jump so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment